The Great Stone Church of San Juan Capistrano had bells hung in the tower. When the church collapsed in a massive earthquake, in 1812, the four original bells survived and were hung in a bell wall the following year. The two largest bells were cast in 1796, the others in 1804.
In 2000 the bells were removed from the bell wall and used for molds to make copies. They were saved after the copies were made, and placed in their current location in 2004. The two large bells on display within the Great Stone Church are now the original bells. The large bells in the bell wall are copies.