2295 Purisima Road
Lompoc, CA 93436
December 8, 1787 - The 11th California Mission
La Purísima sometimes referred to as the "Linear Mission". Other times, referred to as "La Purísima Concepción De María Santísima".
Now a California State Historic Park surrounded by approximately 2,000 acres of parkland. It is the most fully-restored mission in California.
La Purísima Concepción is the most completely restored California mission, with over twenty buildings. The mission was founded on December 8, 1787. This is the only mission that is a "living museum" with docents in period costume walking the grounds and live animals in a mission coral. La Purísima is now a California State Historic Park.
2295 Purisima Road
Lompoc, CA 93436
This mission is run by an organization known as Prelado. Prelado's support provides La Purísima Mission State Historic Park with animal care, money for enrichment programs, docent training, building repairs and many other aspects of operating this historic park.
The Prelado de los Tesoros (keepers of the treasures of La Purísima) is one of the largest and most robust group of trained volunteers in California. Docent candidates undergo eight (8) weeks of training and must accumulate 96 hours of volunteer work before they officially become docents.
Telephone and website information are provided below.
805-733-3713 - Park
805-736-3605 - Gift Shop
Please contact Prelado de los Tesoros de La Purísima directly by telephone or by visiting their website for the most current information regarding fees, hours of operation and tours.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, it is best to check for current information.
La Purísima Mission State Historic Park offers a bucolic and relaxed setting for weddings and events, surrounded by historic buildings and tucked within a small canyon, La Cañada de los Berros. Visit the CA Department of Parks and Recreation website for more information regarding the options available.
The park stages "special" days throughout the year. Check the most current calendar for a list of scheduled events.
Make time to enjoy the town of Lompoc and its incredible collection of thirty-six (36) large murals. Download a copy of the Murals of Lompoc before visiting.
1874 - subsequently much of the land was sold.
Mary, Mother of Jesus. The name honors "The Immaculate Conception of Mary, the Most Pure".
This mission was established in the land of the Chumash people. The Chumash, who joined the La Purísima Mission were the Purismeño (from villages near the mission), the Ineseño (from villages closer to Santa Barbara), and the Island Chumash. There were also the Yokuts at this mission.
Originally established at the Indian Village of Algsacupi on the edge of present-day Lompoc. An earthquake on December 21, 1812 destroyed the mission, which was then relocated about 4.5 miles to the northeast in the Valley of the Watercress.
The rebuilt mission (completed between 1815-1818) was laid out in linear fashion, the only California mission not organized as a quadrangle.
Springs in hills three (3) miles away. The mission had an elaborate system of open aqueducts, pipes, reservoirs, and dams.
The mission population ranged from 900 to 1,100 most years between 1798-1818, with a peak population of 1,520 in 1804.
The peak number of livestock at La Purísima was 22,764 in 1822 (10,000 cattle, 11,000 sheep, 46 goats, 104 pigs, 1,367 horses, and 247 mules).
Between the years 1788-1834, La Purísima harvested 189,276 bushels of wheat, barley, corn, beans, peas, lentils, garbanzos (chickpeas), and habas (broad beans). This was the third largest agricultural output in the mission chain.
There were two large vineyards, Jalama was eight (8) miles south of the mission and San Francisco was two (2) miles east.
The mission church, which has a simple exterior, has been handsomely restored. Located as it is in a State Historic Park, it is not an active church.
The campanario (bell tower) was copied after the one at Santa Inés since no records existed that described the original design. The bell tower has two rolling bells and one stationary bell.
The mission museum and the new Visitors' Center and Exhibit Hall display many period artifacts including an 1818 bell, a complete set of vestments, a handsome confessional, tools and tiles, and two original paintings from the mission.
In 1824, a revolt of the neophytes that began in Santa Inés spread to La Purísima. The rebels captured the mission and held it for about a month. In the battle, sixteen (16) Indians and one soldier died. Seven (7) Indians were condemned to death.
With over twenty (20) buildings, La Purísima is the most fully restored California mission. Building was completed between 1934 and 1942 by the National Park Service and the Civilian Conservation Corps. La Purísima is a California State Historic Park, with the restored mission complex surrounded by approximately 2,000 acres. The former mission church has been handsomely restored. Located as it is on a state historic park, it is not an active church.
This Historical Image Gallery contains paintings, murals and illustrations of how the mission looked at various stages in its history.
La Purísima is a "living history" museum. You will see docents dressed in mission-era clothing giving demonstrations of mission activities such as weaving, cooking, candle making, etc. This is the only mission with live animals which are housed in a large corral in front of the mission buildings. The complex includes a new Visitors' Center and Exhibit Hall located just beyond the parking area.
This Contemporary Image Gallery contains a number of photographs of representative buildings and scenes that illustrate what one can expect in a "living history" museum.
La Purísima was founded in 1787 at the Indian Village of Algsacupi where a traditional mission complex was built over the next twenty-five (25) years. On December 21, 1812, an earthquake destroyed the mission which was then relocated to 4 1/2 miles to the northeast. The new mission was built in a linear fashion, the only California mission not organized around a quadrangle.
La Purísima was restored, in its linear layout with about twenty (20) buildings, between 1934 and 1942 by the National Park Service and the Civilian Conservation Corporation. While we do not have architectural drawings, we know the layout and how it appeared in the mission era.