114 East Spain Street
Sonoma, CA 95476
July 4, 1823 - The 21st California Mission
What remained of the mission was sold to a private party in 1881. Between 1911-1913, the mission was rebuilt with the support of the Historic Landmark League which acquired the property in 1903. The last major restoration was completed in 1943-1944. The restored mission is now part of Sonoma State Historic Park.
San Francisco Solano, the last California mission, was founded on July 4, 1823. The 1840 church was restored in 1913. The restored mission complex includes the church, the padres' quarters (now a museum), and a large quadrangle. There is a commemorative wall with the names of the Indian neophytes located on the west side of the mission.
114 East Spain Street
Sonoma, CA 95476
This is a good one to find with your car navigation or use the Google Maps link above. The mission is located right on the square in the Town of Sonoma at East Spain Street and 1st Street.
This mission is part of the Sonoma State Historic Park. The official website is https://www.sonomaparks.org/location/mission-san-francisco-solano/
707-938-9560 - Mission Sonoma
707-939-9420 - Soldiers Barracks/Museum
707-936-1519 - Sonoma State Historic Park
Please contact the mission directly by telephone or by visiting the official park website for the most current information.
This is not an active Catholic Church. However, there is a restored church which visitors can view during their tour. It is quite tasteful and authentic looking.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, it is best to check for current information.
Visit the Sonoma State Historic Park facilities webpage for information regarding use of the facilities for special events.
Saint Francis Solano, a Spanish Franciscan who served for twenty (20) years as a missionary in Peru and Paraguay.
Neophytes were primarily members of the Coast Miwok, Pomo, Suisunes, Wappo, and Patwin tribes. The mission was established at the site of the village of Huchi.
In the center of Sonoma, forty (40) miles north of San Francisco.
In the mission era, San Francisco Solano was laid out in a traditional quadrangle close to where the town of Sonoma developed.
There was ample water from a spring a quarter of a mile northeast of the mission complex.
The highest mission population was 996 in 1832.
San Francisco Solano only operated for eleven (11) years before it was secularized. It did have a meaningful herd of 3,500 cattle and 900 horses. The mission's total of 5,063 animals (in 1832) was the smallest in the mission chain.
Mission Sonoma did not have time to fully develop its agriculture. Output between mission founding and 1832 was only about 14,000 bushels of grain and produce. An official U.S. Land Survey shows a large mission vineyard.
The restored church measures 105 feet long and 22 feet wide. The interior is quite authentic looking. It is part of an historic state park and is not a dedicated Catholic Church. Visit the Sonoma State Historic Park website to learn more about the tours and programs it has to offer.
A wooden frame outside the mission entrance holds one of the original bells which was cast in 1829.
The wing that was the padre's quarters is now a museum. In what was the dining room during the mission era, there is a display of the full set of mission paintings done by Chris Jorgensen painted between 1903-1905.
San Francisco Solano (also called Mission Sonoma) was only functional as a mission for eleven (11) years before it was secularized in 1834. Fortunately, most of the prominent 19th century artists captured the essential appearance of this mission. The core buildings were rebuilt between 1911-1913 with a major restoration in 1943-1944. Sonoma was the site of the Bear Flag Revolt of June 14, 1816 declaring California a republic, an event that was staged directly across from the mission.
This Historical Image Gallery contains a generous sample of the historic illustrations and paintings of Mission San Francisco Solano. One of the special attractions of this mission is the former padre's quarters (now a museum) which contains Chris Jorgensen's paintings of all twenty-one (21) missions painted between 1903-1905. In addition, there is a second museum on the picturesque town square, the restored Mexican-era soldier's barracks, located directly across from the mission.
The Contemporary Image Gallery contains more recent photographs taken by several different photographers from around the Church gardens and the Church interior.
San Francisco Solano was the last Spanish mission founded in California (on July 4, 1823) and only functioned as a mission for eleven (11) years. During the mission revival period in the early 20th century, when there was considerable support for restoring the old missions, the Historic Landmarks League acquired the former San Francisco Solano mission property in 1903. Between 1911-1913, they rebuilt the last "mission" church.
San Francisco Solano was not one of the California missions documented in depth by the Historic American Buildings Survey.